Specialty: General Surgeon, Weight Loss & Bariatric Specialist
DMC Harper Bariatric Medicine Institute - Madison Heights
Philosophy of Care
Dr. Amy Somerset is passionate about educating and empowering her patients to help them make well-informed decisions about their surgical treatment options. She is committed to improving the health of her patients with the latest medical guidelines and minimally invasive surgery to promote less pain and faster recovery. Her goal is to provide personal, comprehensive, and quality care to every patient she serves.
A resident of Grosse Pointe, Michigan, Dr. Somerset attended medical school at the Ohio State University College of Medicine in Columbus. She returned to Michigan to complete her internship and general surgery residency at Beaumont Health System in Royal Oak. Dr. Somerset is board certified in General Surgery and Obesity Medicine and has completed an advanced Minimally Invasive Surgical Fellowship at Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center. She specializes in bariatric and general surgery and offers various surgical procedures that best fit her patients, including robotic and laparoscopic surgical techniques. Dr. Somerset is a faculty member at Wayne State University School of Medicine.
- Medical School: The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH
- Internship: Beaumont Health System, Royal Oak, MI
- Residency: (General Surgery) Beaumont Health System, Royal Oak, MI
- Fellowship: (Minimally Invasive Surgery) Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, MI
- Bariatric Surgery (Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass, Sleeve Gastrectomy, Revision Bariatric Surgery, and Gastric Band Removal)
- Heartburn Surgery
- Gastrointestinal Surgery (Esophagus, Stomach, Small Intestine, and Colon)
- Hernia Repair
- Upper Endoscopy
- Gallbladder Surgery
- Robotic and Laparoscopic Surgery