- Medical School: Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
- Residency: (Surgical) New York Medical College/Our Lady of Mercy Medical Center, Bronx, NY
- Fellowship: (Minimally Invasive and Bariatric Surgery) The Methodist Hospital/Texas Medical Center, Houston, TX; (Plastic Surgery Research/Obesity Medicine) University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Medical Interests: Surgical Weight Loss, Nonsurgical Weight Loss, Abdominal Hernias, Abdominoplasties/Panniculectomies, Clinical Research, Medical and Particularly Patient Education
- Associations: Fellow of American College of Surgeons (ACS), Fellow of American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS), Member of The Obesity Society (TOS), Member of Society of American Gastrointestinal Surgeons (SAGES), Diplomat of American Society of Bariatric Physicians (ASBP), Diplomat of Certification Board of Nutrition Specialists (CBNS)
- DMC Hospital Affiliation: Huron Valley Sinai Hospital
Philosophy of Care
Dr. Fariba Dayhim believes that no two people are alike. Therefore, everyone’s care has to be individualized to their unique set of characteristics. And just as no two people are alike we are still one big human family. When it comes to healthcare, Dr. Dayhim treats everyone as family where the standard quality of care should be what the doctor would want to be done for their loved ones.
Dr. Dayhim graduated with honors from Tehran University of Medical Sciences, the highest-ranked Medical School in Iran. She then completed a Medical Residency in the same university, which then enlisted her as an assistant professor of surgery. In 2001, Dr Dayhim traveled to Ann Arbor Michigan for a plastic surgery research fellowship. Following her experience in Ann Arbor, Dr. Dayhim and her family decided to move to the United States. She completed a second surgical residency in New York where she was awarded The Best Resident Teacher Award, twice during her residency. Dr Dayhim ventured on a Minimally Invasive/Bariatric fellowship at The Methodist Hospital in Houston, where she perfected her laparoscopic skills in the most challenging surgical settings. During her fellowship, she had the opportunity to work with some of the best experts in the field, such as Dr. Patrick Reardon a surgeon to the First Lady Barbara Bush, and the father-son team from TLC’s Big Medicine, Drs. Robert and Garth Davis. After her fellowship, she went on to work as a Bariatric Surgeon in the State of Maine, where she also founded and directed a Comprehensive Weight Management Program, with emphasis on a multidisciplinary approach to weight loss and maintenance.
In her personal life, Dr. Dayhim enjoys spending time with her family, the beautiful outdoors particularly canoeing and nature walks, painting, reading, traveling, attending museums, cooking delicious healthy food, antique-shopping, watching movies, and participating in her husband’s endeavors in the resurrection of historic buildings. Dr. Dayhim’s journey in the United States started in the state of Michigan. Her return to Michigan after 16 years feels like coming home.
Dr. Dayhim’s primary focus is surgical weight loss. She is also board-certified in obesity medicine and nutrition, which gives her the tools to assist patients with nonsurgical weight loss, when indicated. In addition to surgical weight loss, Dr. Dayhim provides surgical care in areas of hernia repair, gallbladder surgery, anti-reflux surgery, skin lesions, and tummy tuck (abdominoplasty and panniculectomy), particularly in patients with massive weight loss.