- Medical School: Guntur Medical College, Andhra University, Guntur, A.P., India
- Internship: (Rotating Intern) Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center, Niagara Falls, NY Residencies: (General Surgery) St. Elizabeth Hospital, Youngstown, OH, (Neurosurgery) Medical Center Hospital of Vermont, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT
- Fellowships: (Skull Base Cerebrovascular Surgery) University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
- Medical Specialties: Skull Base Surgery; Pituitary Tumor Surgery; Aneurysms and Vascular Malformations of Brain; Brain Tumor Surgery; Trigeminal Neuralgia; Gamma Knife Radiosurgery; Spinal Tumor Surgery; Endoscopic Neurosurgery
- DMC Hospital Affiliations: Children’s Hospital of Michigan, Detroit Receiving Hospital, DMC Surgery Hospital, Harper University Hospital, Huron Valley Sinai Hospital, Hutzel Women’s Hospital, Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan, Sinai Grace Hospital
Dr. Murali Guthikonda completed his medical education at Guntar Medical College In Guntar, India, and was a neurosurgical resident at the University of Vermont. He is a specialist in endoscopic, minimally invasive skull base and cerebrovascular surgery. Skull base surgery deals with the management of lesions located at the base of the skull, beneath the brain. Formerly inaccessible and inoperable lesions may now be managed through advanced neurosurgical and microsurgical techniques. Dr. Guthikonda has a special interest in the treatment of pituitary tumors and uses minimally invasive approaches to manage large and complex versions of this type of tumor. By using endoscopic techniques, Dr. Guthikonda can offer patients safer ways to remove these tumors.
Dr. Guthikonda specializes in treating complex aneurysms and vascular malformations of the brain using advanced neurosurgical and microsurgical techniques.
Dr. Guthikonda is the author of numerous articles and a frequent lecturer throughout the United States and India on topics related to skull base surgery. He served as Chairman of the Department of Neurosurgery at Wayne State University (2000 - 2015), and has been instrumental in recent growth in the department’s sub-specialty programs. He is actively involved with resident training and is currently the program director of the Neurosurgical Residency Program at Wayne State.
- Skull Base Surgery
- Pituitary Tumor Surgery
- Aneurysms and Vascular Malformations of Brain
- Brain Tumor Surgery
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Gamma Knife Radiosurgery
- Spinal Tumor Surgery
- Endoscopic Neurosurgery