- Medical School: Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH
- Internship and Residency: (General Surgery) University of Michigan Hospitals, Ann Arbor, MI
- Fellowship: (Cardiothoracic Surgery) University of Michigan Hospitals, Ann Arbor, MI
- Fellowship: (Pediatric Cardiovascular Surgery) University of Michigan C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital, Ann Arbor, MI
About The Provider
Philosophy of Care
Dr. Peter Sassalos cares for his patients and their families in the same excellent manner he would expect his own family member to be treated: safe, thoughtful, dedicated, respectful, and compassionate. His goal is to allow pediatric patients to live the fullest life possible with the best quality and least number of interventions. He believes in a multidisciplinary approach to care which includes the parents and family as part of the team.
Dr. Sassalos is proud to call Michigan his home; it is where he was born and has spent most of his life. As a result, he has strong ties to the metro Detroit communities. Dr. Sassalos attended Wayne State University for his undergraduate studies before obtaining his medical degree from Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in Cleveland, Ohio. Dr. Sassalos then returned to Michigan, where he spent 15 years at the University of Michigan for advanced medical training and as an assistant professor of pediatric cardiovascular surgery. His training included general surgery residency, a two-year research fellowship in the Extracorporeal Life Support Laboratory (ECLS/ECMO), cardiothoracic surgery fellowship, pediatric cardiovascular surgery advanced fellowship, and a master of science degree in clinical research design and statistical analysis. He gained significant experience in neonatal, adult congenital, and complex reoperative cardiac surgery during this time.
Pediatric Cardiovascular Surgery, Adult Congenital Heart Surgery
- Neonatal Cardiac Surgery
- Infant and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery
- Adult Congenital Cardiac Surgery
DMC Hospital Affiliation: Children's Hospital of Michigan