- Medical School: University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI
- Internship: (General Surgery) University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI
- Residency: (Neurological Surgery) University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI
- Fellowship: (Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery) Semmes Murphey Clinic, Memphis, TN
About the Provider:
Philosophy of Care:
Dr. Sonia Eden understands that trust and communication represent vital components of the patient-doctor relationship. She strives to connect with her patients and create a safe space where they can have open communication.
Born and raised in Detroit, Dr. Eden received her Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering from Yale University. Dr. Eden went on to graduate from the University of Michigan School of Medicine in Ann Arbor, Michigan. She then interned in General Surgery, while completing a six-year residency in Neurological Surgery at the University of Michigan Medical Center. After her residency, Dr. Eden finished fellowship training in minimally invasive spine surgery with Dr. Kevin
Foley at Semmes Murphey Clinic in Memphis, Tennessee.
Dr. Eden is board certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery. She has performed extensive research on healthcare disparities and is passionate about health equity and eliminating health disparities. Dr. Eden is also the co-author of the first book ever written on the surgical management of the sacroiliac joint. In addition, she has performed extensive research on the sacroiliac joint and has been a pioneer of minimally invasive anterior approaches to the spine.
Throughout her career, Sonia Eden has generously served as an educator and mentor to other physicians. Along with her professional commitments, Dr. Eden has also been active in the community and is a member of the Links, Inc. She has served on numerous boards, including the YWCA of Kalamazoo Board, the Ascension Borgess Foundation Board, the Friendship Village Senior Living Board, and the Kalamazoo Chapter of Big Brothers/Big Sisters Board.
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Complex Spine and Spinal Cord Surgery
- Sacroiliac Joint Surgery
- Endoscopic and Minimally Invasive Brain Surgery
- Peripheral Nerve Surgery
- Failed Back/Chronic Pain Surgery
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery
- Cranial and Spine Trauma
- Cranial Tumor Surgery
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS)
- AANS/CNS Sections on Disorders of Spine and Peripheral Nerve
- Michigan Association of Neurological Surgery (MANS)
DMC Hospital Affiliations:
- DMC Harper University Hospital, DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital